Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Funny the things you pick up....


Ode to my mother! I took these pictures a couple of weeks ago, after a nice Sunday dinner I had cooked for my parents, Robb and Ram. (I know, you are shocked that I, Annie Shirley can cook, believe me, no one is more shocked than Robb....he has had cold cereal and quesadillas for the first four and 3/4 of our marriage. But dang I make a mean bowl of cold cereal). After the 'rents had left and I was cleaning up a little bit I came face to face with a major conflict! Do I throw away these perfectly good plastic cups and utensils? Years of growing up with my sweet mother and plastic ware has taught me, that no, I do not throw them away. Some of you family members out there may recall many a dinners or gatherings where plastic ware is used and all of a sudden a blood-curdling scream is let out as clean up is going on....oh my goodness, did someone die? No, no, no, mother found some plastic ware carelessly thrown away in the garbage....perfectly good re-usable plastic ware. And so, dear mother of mine, in honor of you, I clean and re-use all plastic ware, and believe me, on the rare occasion that I throw a plastic knife, spoon, or fork away I feel guilty for a portion of the day....I love my mom, and I am so glad I have some how picked up on these corky habits....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Annie, it's Jen! I had to rebuild by blog a couple of months ago and somehow didn't put the link to yours back on it! So, I just refound it and have spent some lovely time catching up on your life! I can't believe how close you are to having your little baby! Our second girl is due at the end of April, so I'll be joining you shortly in the newborn department!

I laughed at this post because my mom does the exact same thing! Isn't the point of plastic ware so you can just throw it away after you use it? Yes. Can I throw away perfectly good plastic ware after it's been used? No. So I, like you, am a product of my mother and hand wash (which is harder than just putting normal silverware in the dishwasher!?!?) all my plastic ware!

Jen Hawks Lundeen

Shanna said...

You kill me! I love this post kind of reminds me of my first four years with Cory! If he's lucky he will get a home cooked meal once a week and that's only Sundays!!